Monday, February 19, 2007

Mnemosyne

"Aasai mugham maranda poche idhai
Yaaridam sholvenadi thozhi"

I cannot remember your face. I cannot remember your face! It's...lost, blurred, undefined now.After all these years of carrying you with me-my very own taveez-you've relinquished your hold on me. Your death grip has loosened and I can breathe again.

But I cannot remember your face anymore. Your laughter haunts my ears, resounding waves in a conch, the soft sussurations of foam on the sand, but your face eludes me. Your silences are a part of my breath, structuring its beat, controlling my life but your face...is gone.

Your touch remains embossed on my skin, against my shoulder, a finger caressed in passing; that fire has not died down yet. Your face, though, is now submerged under a tide of forgetfulness, sweeping shores clean of broken shells luminescent in the dawn light-heartlight.

Love's driftwood, becomes stone in the end.

7 comments:

Raeesa Vakil said...

..and death shall have no dominion. Glad to have you back. Lovely stuff.

sharanya said...

the complexity of the mind. the ignorance of it too..brilliant work.

Krishna Kumar. S said...

bharathi trip, eh? am visiting here on your goading (coaxing???). Haven't done any visits in real or web-time due to various constraints. Haven't even done a decent post. Sondha mugam marandhu poche thozhi, shave seyya kooda neram illayadi paavi, idhai yaaridam kadaruvaanadi indha aavi!

Da Rodent said...

Hmmm... :-S

Arthur Quiller Couch said...

You're a romantic. Fragile species.
But as long as you survive, I wish you'd post more regularly. Very nice.

The Dragon said...

Very nice. G told me about this song. Heard it at the Red Earth, Pouring Rain concert...did we not meet you and Sharanya there? Very nice song. Not a "fast number" but I still liked it.

So is what you've written a translation or just inspired by the song?

PS: Mind if I blogroll you?

arun said...

nice translation...

has stuck on to the essence the tamil version adopts...

great.

arun