Thursday, April 13, 2006

Musings On Eliot

It has been a really long time since I posted on my blog.I realised that I had no inclination to write something and put it up.I think it is because of general Exam sloth that seems to take over every time I hear the word'exam'.
I woke up in the morning and the first thing I did was to pull out my poetry file and what do I see?
Eliot's "The Wasteland". I have to confess that Eliot is one of my favourite poets.He wasn't just a poet though.A critic, philosopher and dramatist par excellence,his writing appeals to me not only at an intellectual level but also a deeper, atavistic level.So I decided to put down some of my favourite from a selection of his writing and try and see why these lines appeal to me.
The first piece of writing I ever read by Eliot was "Macavity"It made me laugh like nothing else had ever done before.The line that captured my imagination was "His powers of levitation would make a fakir stare".I guess it was because of the Indian connection that I really liked the line. I went back to it many years later and was struck anew by the ease with the which the lines meshed together and the very subtle wit that laced the poem.I had to read the rest in the collection too but no poem in Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats ever came close to the magis that Macavity created for me.I might mention that this poem is where I first came across the word suavity and since then have grown to love the way it seems to slide of your tongue.It is so smooth.
What captivated me next was his verse drama "Murder in the Cathedral".Based on the murder of Thomas Becket, the Archbishop of Canterbury, the play explores what martyrdom means and what place religion holds in the context of this day and age.A verse drama, Eliot captures the dark and terrifying sentiments of a man who knows he will soon be killed on the orders of his sovereign and one time friend.
There are two aspects of this play that stand out. One is his revival of the tradition of the Chorus and the use of the four Knights as the four Tempters.
The Chorus was an integral part of the Greek dramatic traditon and eliot revives this tradition in this play.Where his chorus differs from the traditional chorus is that they are a character in themselves and are comprised of the women of the town of Canterbury.They mark the passage of time, set the mood and tone of each scene and closely mirror the spiritual evolution of the Archbishop.The play opens with the chorus asking what presentiment of doom has bought them to the steps of the cathedral. They say,"We are forced to bear witness...For us, the poor,there is no action/But only to wait and witness."
the Choric lines in this play are some of the most powerful lines I have ever read.
A sampling:"You come with applause,you come with rejoicing,but you come bringing death into Canterbury
A doom on the house,a doom on yourself,a doom on the world...
But now a great fear is upon us...A fear like birth and death,when we see birth and death alone
In a void apart."

"God is leaving us, God is leaving us, more pang, more pain than birth or death.
Sweet and cloying through the dark air
falls the stifling scent of despair;"


I have smelt them, the death bringers; now it is too late
For action,too soon for contrition.
Nothing is possible but the shaned swoon
Of those consenting to the last humiliation.
...Am torn away, subdued, violated,
United to the spiritual flesh of nature,
Mastered by the animal powers of spirit,
Dominated by the lust of self-demolition,
By the final uttermost death of spirit,
By the final ecstasy of waste and shame."

"Every horror had its definition,
Every sorrow had a kind of end:
In life there is not time to grieve long.
But this,this is out of life, this is out of time.
An instant eternity of evil and wrong."

You can sense the rising hysteria of the Chorus and the lines come at you with a hammer punch.The sense of despair and misery keep building up until the murder is finally committed.After that it is like the lancing of a boil from which all the fear and frustration is released and with this release comes a sense of acceptance of their fate and a certain rejuvenation of the spirit. One can go on and on about this play as it has so much to offer both in terms of intellectual appreciation of technique andsheer mastery of form and in terms of sheer enjoyment and empathy.
Any appreciation of Eliot is incomplete without a reference to his Preludes, The Love Song of J Alfred Prufrock and The Wasteland.All these poems have certain themes of threads that link them. Preludes is a collage of images that depict the monotony and the humdrum quality of modern life.More than anthing, there is a quality of rooltlessness, a feeling that there is no centre in the world or in the lives we lead.
"The winter evening settles down
With smell of steaks in passageways.
Six o' clock.
The burnt-out ends of smoky days."
There is an immediate sense of dreariness and lethargy inherent in this line.There is also a sense of griminess, as if something like soot was stuck to your hand and you can't get rid of it.
This feeling is heightened by some other lines from this poem,
"The morning comes to consciousness
of faint stale smells of beer
...One thinks of all the hands
That are raising dingy shades
In a thousand furnished rooms."
The best lines come at the end of the poem where the poet declares
" I am moved by fancies that are curled
Around these images, and cling
The notion of some infinitely gentle,
Infinitely suffering thing.

Wipe your hands across your mouth and laugh;
The worlds revolve like ancient women
Gathering fuel in vacant parking lots."
These lines send shivers down my spine every time I read them. The cynicism and the weariness that comes through makes me wonder everytime if this what my life has been reduced to.
Prufrock and The Wasteland echo these sentiments only to differing degrees.
My favourite lines from Prufrock would have to be
"Let us go then, You and I,
When the evening is spread out against the sky,
Like a patient etherised upon a table."

"I have measured out my life with coffee spoons."(How can a man have such genius to be able to compress the sense of the frivolity and inanity of life and social mores in one single image?)
"I should have been a pair of ragged claws
Scuttling across the floors of silent seas."

"I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each.
I do not think that they will sing to me."( this is the line that makes me cry.The lonliness and despair leap and grab me by the throat)
I will not dare speak of The Wasteland as I feel I will do it injustice by not giving it enough space.
But there is one poem I must mention as a personal favourite and that is Marina. Written as part of the Ariel Poems, it is based on the story of Pericles and his search for his daughter Marina.
The poem is related from the perspective of Pericles himself and opens with the epigram,
"Quis hic locus, quae
regio, quae mundi plaga?" which loosely translated from the Latin goes something like this
"What palce is this, what region,what quarter ofthe world?"
The opening lines of the poem echo this statement.
The best lines according to me are,
"What is this face, less clear and clearer
The pulse in the arm, less strong and stronger-
Given or lent? more distant than stars and nearer than the eye

Whispers and small laughter between leaves and hurrying
feet
Under sleep, where all the waters meet."
This is the place where he sights his daughter after a long and arduous voyage and in her rcognises a symbol of hope and rejuvenation of the spirit.Marina and the voyage then become symbols of a journey from despair and loss of hope to an acceptance of the situation, a rekindling of innocence and an affirmation of hope and faith.

I do not possess the credentials to even attempt an appreciation or criticism of Eliot.Forgive me if this piece sounds pretentious.It is meant to be an attempt at explaining the fascination Eliot holds for me and has always held for me.

28 comments:

Abhinav said...

hey namrata, really nice post... wasteland is so complex, and so difficult to follow - especially since every line is rich with meaning and reference... i especially love the reference to the 'full fathom five your father lies' song from the tempest, because it completely subverts the mood of the original text - and there are MILLIONS like that.
and if anyone could actually bring blank verse to theatre in 20th century it's eliot - noone else could have..
and hey, have you read hollow men. it's just amazing... it says everything that wasteland does in about 1/15th the space!

antickpix said...

not wanting to spam manasi's blog..

yeah, i saw underworld 2 with the brothers varma.

i posted abt it on my blog actually (hint hint..go vist..hint hint)

smoke said...

Whoa, Nam! Great post... great reading about Eliot. Although I can't say I'm surprised to see a whole post dedicated to him... He's like your God or something right? AH! Now, I suddenly see the light. No WONDER you keep saying God is dead! :D

Awesome post, dudette! You do my Git heart proud ;)

Manasi Subramaniam said...

gitler,

My favourite from Old Possum is Skimbleshanks. I think it's delightful. :-) I'm not too fond of The Wasteland. But I love Prufrock to pieces. I know it practically by heart. I think it's utterly brilliant. I am especially fond of the Hamlet passage. Some of his plays like The Cocktail Party aren't too great. Murder in the Cathedral is pretty awesome though.

antickpix,

Thanks for showing consideration.

Namrata said...

abhinav:Absolutely that's why I want to devote an entire post to wasteland.Yes I have read The hollow men.I was planning to do both together.
But to get through all the references would take an entire book and then some!!

Antickpix:I couldn't find any mention of it on your blog.Weird!!
And yeah comment on the post na??


Jan:Thanks and yes now do you see why i revere Eliot?
And yeah Nietzche would be happy to hear you endorse his statement especially if you sustitute god with Eliot!!;-)

Namrata said...

Manasi:Yes the Hamlet passage is my favourite too.Especially his take on Polonius. The reference to Marvell is also pretty extraordinary.Makes you sit back in awe of his sheer breadth and depth of knowledge.
Skimbleshanks rules..the Jellicle cats are sooo cute!!no offense:-)

antickpix said...

sunday april 9th, the post 'unwind' has a side note at the end. :p

and yes, once i draw up the courage to read this post, i shall comment on it.

Abhinav said...

gitler,
to harp on the same theme again... i've changed my mind about hollow men saying everything that wasteland does... rather i'd say if wasteland was populated with people, it would be the hollow men. no that isn't mine, but it fits!
i dont think i took time enough to appreciate the emotion in murder in the cathedral though, didn't spend enough time on it.
but i love the devices he uses, as you mentioned the tempters... and just having the courage to try out blank verse in an age of prose and practicality in theatre i think is really really cool.
maybe i should read it again to see what you're saying.

Namrata said...

Abhinav:I think that was the point of writing both the Wasteland and Hollow Men.They are both meant to be explorations of a world that Eliot cannot fing meaning in. An exposition ,if you like, of the inane quality of the lives we lead especially in the context of the urban explosion, our worship of science and the horrors perpetrated by the World Wars. Which is why I sometimes cannot square his earlier writing with his conversion to Christianity and his change of heart after that.Though of course his writing remains as powerful and as expressive as ever.Its only know after living in a city for a year that I can appreciate what he is talking about.Otherwise in a place like Rishi valley it becomes merely an intellectual excercise.Which is also why I connect with Prufrock at a very personal level.

Antickpix:Don't you dare be put off by the fact that I am a lit student writing about a very well known poet.As I said earlier it does not attempt to explain any of his lines but is a mere appreciation of his writing.I think you will enjoy it..with most of the sentiments expressed in the excerpts atleast!:-)

antickpix said...

i did read this last night actually (wa hey!), and appreciated your appreciation.

well, i haven't read any TSE poems, so unlike other commenters here (tall and miniscule), can't drop titles and draw comparisons etc.

but i just might read his poetry now.

Namrata said...

YEA!!!!!Another eliot convert in the making.My job on earth has been accomplished.

antickpix said...

in the making...

Namrata said...

Ok...Job half done then!

Krishna Kumar. S said...

Namu... you got a post after my heart. 1) Because, it expresses my current mood...haven't had the itch to do any post although several topics on mind. A long overdue post on Terry Gilliam among several other things. 2) Because this post is about Eliot... Of course you remember the objective correlative visual improv we did based on Preludes at last Pushing Boundaries???? But I think one hasn't read TSE until one reads Dry Salvages. The ref. to Gita is just amazing. I mean this guy is true spiritualist... spawning in knowledge from Thomas Becket to Bhagvad Gita, Hieronymous Bosch's paintings (another fav of mine) to Guy Fawkes... am spinachless everytime i think of TSE. And for all that the bloke was a bank clerk. I wonder what all our Bank Employees are doing!

Namrata said...

KK:Absolutely. Dry Salvages is a really amazing piece of writing but so is The Rock.It is again a pioneering work in the field of drama. Four Quartets itself is a seminal work and I don't think anyone will really be able to get to the bottom of it.TSE's breadth of knowledge is really fantastic.Forget the bank clerks!!The rest of us so called erudite people aren't worth much either.

Noompa said...

Very interesting Namrata! We are currently studying a number of short stories by Nathaniel Hawthorne...fascinating. His conception of the woman is of particular note; he seems torn between the two opposing (and evolving) views of the woman in society. I would strongly recommend his 'Tales Told Twice'.

Bandy said...

hey,
this post brought back all the lit memories! what fun! needless to say eliot was/is one of my favourites. my favourites have to be prufrock and hollow men. wasteland is brilliant, but rather unreachable at the moment. the mermaid lines do have this haunting quality, it just lingers on.

Namrata said...

Anandi:It does doesn't it?? Remember the one night we sat with Sid and did Wasteland? I will really never forget that night!Of course his poetry is among some of the most haunting I have ever read.Dylan Thomas and Seamus Heaney come a close second in my book too.

Noompa:Nathaniel Hawthorne is not one of my favourite authors.His style I find a little too pretentious and over the top.Also I happen to object to his portrayal of women in general espicially in The Scarlet Letter.I have read Tales Told Twice and some of them,I have to agree, were really worth it and I found some change in his attitude there but on the whole he really isn't a writer who appeals to me.
By the way, you are supposed to reply to comments made on your blog not just read them!!!:-)

Namrata said...

Noompa have you read his short story called The Birthmark? What is your take on that?

Bandy said...

sid and wasteland was indeed unforgettable... that time when he gave us a piece from it in 11th and we didnt know (atleast i didnt) that was fun too... loved the drip drop! dont like heaney much... dont really relate to his farms and potatoes and all. reading neruda's memoirs at the moment... quite nice

karthik said...

hello, nam..
you must understand me for not being able to complete reading it... but it was interesting .. i love eliot too... only read few poems but what i have, i'v loved..
im trying to crack hollowmen right now.. but yeah, you must understand cos its really tough to pay attention to the kind of stuff you had to cram into yer head every morning for two hours before the paper begins ...for three weeks !! and especially when exams jus got over and you'r free to forget... but... yeah, the suave slipsliding... hehe... i'v subconsiously noticed too...
and the fakir ofcos.... lol.. i once read out macavity in class as a poem of my choice... everybody froze when it came to the staring fuck-ir...

Anonymous said...

Namrata,

Really fine Musings those were, too! Yeah... and the thing I liked about the post was that it was extremely personal, not antiseptic, feigning objectivity.

"The burnt out ends of smoky days" is my favourite... somehow the image catches the feeling of exhaustion, a direction-less journey and a dull weariness rolled into one. I cannot afford to - and aint qualified - to comment more on TSE for my knowledge is comparatively less vis-a-vis you and the gentlemen and ladies who have preceded me to this post.

Cheers!

Abhinav said...

time to update, girl!

Krishna Kumar. S said...

Next post, please, Hurricane Lady with two sharp shooters under the pallu!

antickpix said...

i third the motion (ugh. sounds like gangraping faeces)

karthik said...

hahahahaha!!! aint heard a good "ayyyooo" joke in ages!!! shit!

Namrata said...

ha!! updated

J. Alfred Prufrock said...

I followed you here from my Sitemeter. Glad I did, because this post on Eliot resonates with me. We have similar reasons for liking Awld Tom and the same lines touch us (the mermaids, the mermaids who will not sing to me!)

Wish you would post more frequently, a half-dozen posts in a year just doesn't cut it.

J.A.P.